Air traffic in India continued to grow with a growth of 20% YoY and 18.8% MoM registered in October 2015. A total of 70.39 lakh passengers flew in October while the number of passengers is 660.6 between January to October of 2015.
Spicejet continued its lead in the Load Factor charts with 92.1% Load factor. This is the sixth consecutive month with over 90% Load factor and it is almost certain that November and December would have load factors in the 90%+ range owning to seasonal increase.
Jet Airways, Go Air and IndiGo saw a marginal change in load factors while Air Asia India saw a notable increase.
IndiGo continues to be the table topper in Market share with a steady month on month growth and a 4.9% growth over last October. The airline now has 36.8% market share, followed by Jet Airways group which has 21.2%. Air India is third at 15.5% while Spicejet is at 12.8%.
It is the first month since starting operations in January that Vistara has carried over a lakh passengers. The airline carried 1 lakh 23 thousand passengers in October. The airline also improved its load factor to its third best in the year.
The On Time Performance (OTP) charts were topped by Vistara with 93.7% OTP while IndiGo with over 10 times the size of Vistara was close second at 89.6%. All airlines with larger presence at Mumbai suffered on account of use of secondary runway at Mumbai which has reduced the OTP at Mumbai. On the other hand, Delhi saw a remarkable OTP even while one of the runway was not available for major part of October.
- 19% growth in domestic movements at Delhi and 15% growth at Mumbai
- 35% of domestic departures at Mumbai by Jet Airways while 30% by IndiGo
- 33% of domestic departures at Delhi by IndiGo while 23% by Jet Airways
- 62% passengers flew Low Cost Carriers in October 2015, up 2% over last October
- IndiGo has carried 42% more passengers from Jan – Oct 2015 as compared to same period last year, while Air Costa has carried 38% more passengers. Jet Airways has carried 34% higher passengers while Go Air and Air India have carried 12% and 6% more passengers respectively
Outlook for November
Increase in capacity by Spicejet, additional flights by Go Air for festive season, launch of new station by IndiGo, marginal increase in domestic capacity by Jet Airways and Air India will make the month a very interesting one to watch.
- Possibility that Spicejet may touch or cross 95% Load Factor
- Increase in Market Share by Spicejet & Go Air
- Marginal increase in market share by Vistara
- Decrease in market share for Air Costa
- Decrease in market share for IndiGo due to change in market dynamics
- Every carrier is likely to carry more loads YoY